FEED your family for a fiver, seven days a week.
I have done my meal maths and come up with these clever ideas for family feasts, all coming in at £5 or less.
Enjoy tasty meals for £5 and less
Packing in fruit, vegetables and protein, and even a pudding where it fits inside the budget, this will add up just great for your family.
Cooking from scratch and adding some fresh buys to the ingredients in your store cupboard is the best way to cook on a budget.
So give these ideas a go, and try the recipes from Morrisons.com.
Herby toad in the hole
This yummy meal only takes 15 minutes to cook
Prep time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 8 sausages (can also use frozen)
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 200ml milk
- 4 large eggs
- 140g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard (can use different types, but use half the amount if English Mustard, or just leave it out altogether if you like)
- 1 tbsp parsley (fresh, dried or frozen)
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C, gas mark 8.
- Add the eggs to the milk and whisk well, add the flour and combine well. Add the mustard and herbs and give a final whisk. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to stand for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, place the sausages and oil in a large, ovenproof dish, and pop in the oven. The oil will heat, brown the sausages a little and get very hot in about ten minutes.
- Carefully remove the dish from the oven and add the batter to the piping-hot oil. Quickly return to the oven and bake until well risen and golden.
- Serve with vegetables and tasty gravy.
- In a hurry? Add the mustard and herbs to Morrisons Batter Mix, found in the baking aisle.