BREXIT talks were under threat over fears they could help spread coronavirus.
Michael Gove said the Government had been given “indications” that chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier and his team won’t travel to London next week.
Chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier and his team may not travel to London next week over fears they could help spread coronavirus
EU sources said negotiations are now “highly likely” to be pulled.
Both EU and UK sources said they were looking at alternatives which may include holding video conferences instead.
Mr Gove also admitted to MPs that a future security deal with the EU “may not be concluded” by the year’s end.
Well over 200 officials from both sides are due to take place in the talks amid a growing number of cases of the virus in both Brussels and Westminster.
The EU Parliament was effectively put on shutdown on Wednesday as all but “indispensable” staff were told to avoid the office and work from home.
No10 said the UK Government was making contingency plans in case the talks have to be cancelled but at present they are going ahead.
The Prime Minister’s spokesman said: “Talks remain scheduled to go ahead next week, clearly we will keep the situation under review and be guided by the scientific advice.
“There will be a joint EU UK decision on how to proceed with this round.”
Michael Gove admitted that a future security deal with the EU ‘may not be concluded’ by the year’s end