HUNDREDS of Poppy Day parades are at risk of being cancelled due to coronavirus, ministers were warned tonight.
Wreath-laying organisers have been left “high and dry” as the Government has failed to issue safety rules.
Show your support at rbl.org.uk/poppyappeal
Ceremonies in villages, towns and cities across the country are in doubt because they have received no official guidance. Labour urged Defence Secretary Ben Wallace to step in to ensure our fallen heroes are remembered on November 8.
Many groups are desperate for advice on how to observe social-distancing rules — but are drawing a blank every time.
Shadow Defence Secretary John Healey said it was important to ensure a march-past by elderly people was carried out within the guidelines. But he claims there is so little information that some organisers may have to cancel.
He accused Mr Wallace of “passing the buck” when he assured him last week that he was working on a plan with the Culture Department.
Mr Healey added: “They have washed their hands of any concern about local Remembrance events and say their only concern in the parade in Whitehall.
“It’s a matter of regret important local tributes are being left to fend for themselves.”
Tonight, the MoD said: “Every effort will be made to ensure we pay our usual respect to the fallen and to our veterans, including in local areas.”
A Royal British Legion spokesman added: “Whilst local Remembrance services and parades are important, the safety and well-being of members of the public who attend or participate must remain the priority.”