PORTUGAL could go BACK on the quarantine list as cases are now in the ‘amber’ warning zone, a travel expert warned today.
The country, which has recorded 16.4 cases per 100,000 in the last seven days, was only put back on the safe list last week, giving the green light to holidays again.
But the number of cases is still cause for concern, and isn’t far away from the 20 per 100,000 rate which can put countries on the UK banned list.
Last week Brits took advantage of a rapid change to the travel advice and jetted off on getaways free in the knowledge they likely wouldn’t have to quarantine when they get back.
TUI even put on more flights to cope with the extra demand.
Anyone going somewhere on the banned list will have to stay home and isolate for two weeks as part of a big to stop the spread.
Paul Charles of The PC Agency said today: “Portugal is now in the amber zone as cases rise again.”
The Government has insisted anyone should not travel unless they are prepared to quarantine for two weeks on their return.
The advice can change at the last minute at any time, Grant Shapps has warned.
It comes after Switzerland, Jamaica and the Czech Republic were added to the banned list yesterday.
Anyone arriving from 4am on Saturday will have to isolate, sparking a mad scramble for Brits to dash home before the rules come into play.
But Cuba was added to the safe list.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told Sky News: “When people travel at the moment, when coronavirus is still a thing, (they) just need to be aware that unfortunately things can change very quickly and, you know, if you go with your eyes open and you know that things can change, it won’t then come as so much as of a surprise.”