UK blasts Iran for reckless and dangerous attacks on UK and US military bases in Iraq

0
122

THE FOREIGN Secretary has today condemned missile strikes on Iraqi military bases hosting UK and US forces.

Dominic Raab urged Tehran not to repeat these reckless and dangerous attacks on Al Asad and Erbil air bases.

Dominic Raab warned today a war would only help terrorists

Last night Iran fired a series of ballistic missiles at two bases in Iraq housing troops – days after a US airstrike killed one of Iran’s top military generals, Qassem Soleimani.

Ten of the ballistic missiles struck the Al Asad Airbase in Iraq, one hit the town of Erbil, and four others were unsuccessful in hitting their targets, according to a US official.

The US official, who wished to remain anonymous, said there were no immediate reports of American casualties, but building searches are being conducted.

Mr Raab said this morning: “We condemn this attack on Iraqi military bases hosting Coalition – including British – forces.

We are concerned by reports of casualties and use of ballistic missiles.

We urge Iran not to repeat these reckless and dangerous attacks, and instead to pursue urgent de-escalation.
A war in the Middle East would only benefit Daesh and other terrorist groups.

Iran’s foreign minister Javad Zarif called the attack a proportionate measure in self-defence and said he doesn’t want the situation to escalate.

Zarif tweeted: “We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.”

And Iran’s ambassador to the UK, Hamid Beidinejad added: “Iran in an act of self-defence as enshrined in the UN Charter, attacked two US military bases.

“Iran does not seek escalation or war.

“Our armed forces are quite ready to forcefully respond against any adventurism. Irans People and government are fully behind their armed forces.”

Footage of the missile strikes appeared to have showed fiery explosions.

Last night President Donald Trump described Qassem Soleimani as a “monster” and said his death is a “good thing for a lot of countries”.

And he took to Twitter to respond to the Iranian missile attack.

He wrote: “All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now.

“So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far!”

Trump announced he will be making a statement on the issue Wednesday morning.

The Iranian president is set to make a speech later.

 

Some of the rockets pictured above the Al Asad airbase
The Al Asad base in Anbar province has come under attack

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here