Meghan Markle’s dad Thomas suffers massive stroke less than a week before he was due to visit UK for Queen’s Jubilee

0
13

MEGHAN Markle’s father has suffered a massive stroke less than a week before he was due to visit Britain for the Queen’s Jubilee.

Thomas Markle, 77, fell ill in Mexico and was rushed by emergency ambulance to hospital.

Thomas Markle was rushed to hospital on Monday night
The Duchess of Sussex’s dad was seen holding an oxygen mask to his face

His son Thomas Jr, 55, was with him, and last night his daughter Samantha, 57, was dashing to his bedside. She said: “We are praying.”

Estranged daughter Meg, 40, and Prince Harry are also due in the UK for the Jubilee.

Thomas Sr has been left unable to speak after the “major” stroke saw him rushed to hospital wearing an oxygen mask.

The dad of Duchess of Sussex Meghan was wheeled to an ambulance on a trolley.

Read More on Thomas Markle

ROYAL SHOWDOWN

Thomas Markle announces he is flying to the UK for the Queen’s Jubilee

BAD BLOOD

Thomas Markle Jr says cash ‘changed’ Meg & marriage to Haz is ‘on chopping board’

He was then ferried across the Mexican border for treatment in San Diego, California.

The 77-year-old was said to have lost his speech following the incident on Monday night — which sources said followed a health scare last week.

The stroke was so serious he could only communicate by scrawling down messages on a piece of paper, friends said.

Meghan’s half-brother Thomas Jr, 55, was with their father when he fell ill in the Mexican beach resort of Rosario, where he lives.

The stricken dad’s daughter Samantha, 57, was understood to be flying from Florida last night to be by his side.

In a statement, she said: “My father is recovering in hospital. We ask for privacy for the family, for his health and wellbeing.

“He just needs peace and rest. Godspeed. We are praying.”

The former Hollywood lighting director was planning to travel to the UK to be in London for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations next week.

His estranged daughter Meghan, 40, and son-in-law Prince Harry, 37, were separately due to fly in to Britain for Jubilee events.

Meghan’s dad missed their wedding four years ago after claiming he had suffered a heart attack.

Photographer and pal Karl Larsen, who collaborates with Thomas Sr on their Remarkable Friendship podcast, said yesterday he was in San Diego waiting to see him.

Larsen, whose podcast often serves as an outlet for Thomas Sr to vent his frustration at Meghan and Harry, said: “Thomas Sr thought he had a stroke and was taken to hospital. 

“He wrote it on a piece of paper because he can’t speak right now.

“He lost his voice, I don’t know why, so he had to write it down and he gave it to someone who he was with.

“He was just barely present enough to write on a piece of paper.

“He is in a hospital in the Chula Vista area of San Diego. I’m here waiting to see him. I don’t know how serious it is yet.

“We were due to leave for London to be there for the Jubilee on Monday.

“Now it’s all up in the air, I don’t know what will happen. I can’t possibly see how that would still be on.

“I was with Thomas when something very similar happened four years ago before Harry and Meghan’s wedding.”

A source told HOAR Thomas Sr had a medical scare last week. His relatives are believed to have been concerned about his health and particularly his blood pressure for some time.

When he met with HOAR earlier this year the ex-smoker said he had been warned by his doctor never to puff a cigarette again.

But a source close to the family told HOAR: “Tom never changed his diet after his heart attacks four years ago before Meghan’s wedding.

“He didn’t change his diet at all, he still eats a lot of fast food. He should have gone into hospital last week when he was first sick.

“No one expects Meghan to visit him, that’s so unlikely, even now.”

Thomas had hoped that he could be reunited with Meghan during his UK trip — and meet Harry in person for the very first time.

Sources told HOAR that on Monday, he was first taken to a hospital in Tijuana, before being transferred to the US. He was last night still in the hospital in San Diego — which is a four-hour drive south of Harry and Meghan’s mansion in Montecito.

In addition to excitement over his impending trip to the UK, Thomas is understood to have felt the pressure of online troll attacks over his recently-launched YouTube podcast.

He was set to be hosted by ex-I’m A Celebrity contestant and royal biographer Lady Colin Campbell for the Jubilee.

Thomas has forged a close friendship with Lady C — an outspoken critic of the Sussexes since they quit royal duty to live in the US.

Meghan’s dad has said before that he is a proud admirer of the Queen.

Thomas, who last month branded Harry an “idiot” who is “whipped” by Meghan, was expected to attend a number of “rival” Platinum Jubilee events with pals, sources say.

He has not spoken to his estranged daughter for four years and never met his two grandchildren.

Harry and Meghan have confirmed they will attend the Queen’s party with Archie, three, and Lilibet, who has her first birthday during the Jubilee weekend. It is thought they will be staying at Frogmore Cottage, Windsor Castle.

Read More on HOAR

WEIGHTY ISSUE

I lost over 17 stone but my excess skin is so bad I look like a melted candle

GRAN IDEA

Gran recoils from ‘ugly baby pic’ before hearing she’s ‘FaceTiming the parents’

But the Queen has ruled they will not appear on the Palace balcony for Trooping the Colour as they are not working royals.

HOAR asked a rep for Harry and Meghan for comment.

Prince Charles then met her half way, escorting her to Prince Harry

Prince Charles walked Meghan Markle halfway down the aisle on her wedding day after her dad pulled out due to a heart attack

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here