SHOCK Drive Genesect is appearing in Pokemon Go for the first time ever this week.
The pokemon is a Tier Five Raid boss and if you manage to catch it over the coming week, it’ll know the attack Techno Blast.
Genesect drives in Pokemon Go explained
Genesect is a man-made pokemon that has a drive slot in the Pokemon lore, and holding different drives allows it to change the type of its Techno Blast move.
The light on its cannon denotes which drive it’s holding, and the associated Techno Blast attack:
- Normal (orange): Normal-type move
- Burn Drive (red): Fire-type move
- Shock Drive (yellow): Electric-type move
- Chill Drive (white): Ice-type move
- Douse Drive (blue): Water-type move
Pokemon Go treats the above as individual pokemon, rather than allowing you to switch drives like in the series’ other games.
So you’ll need to catch each one if you want a Genesect with every type of Techno Blast attack.
When is Shock Drive Genesect in Pokemon Go?
What with being a Legendary, you won’t find Genesect outside of raids in Pokemon Go.
Shock Drive Genesect debuted in Pokemon Go on Saturday, January 15, and will remain in the game until 10am local time on Monday, January 24.
The Raid Hour for Shock Drive Genesect is set for Wednesday, January 19 between 6pm and 7pm local time.
So far we’ve seen the Normal and Burn Drive Genesect in Pokemon Go, with Shock, Chill, and Douse yet to make an appearance.
There’s also no Shiny Shock Drive Genesect in Pokemon Go this week, as confirmed by Niantic Pokemon Go blog.
How to beat and catch Shock Drive Genesect in Pokemon Go
Genesect is a Bug/Steel-type pokemon, so ignore the drive its holding as that has no bearing on what to use to beat it.
This type of pokemon is only weak to fire, and as both Bug- and Steel-types are vulnerable to the element, Genesect takes quadruple damage.
As well as a strong Fire-type team — ideally made up of fully evolved or Legendary pokemon — try to group up with other players rather than taking it on solo.
Recommended Fire-type pokemon to take on Shock Drive Genesect include:
- Mega Charizard Y (Fire Spin, Blast Burn)
- Mega Charizard X (Fire Spin, Blast Burn)
- Mega Houndoom (Fire Fang, Flamethrower)
- Reshiram (Fire Fang, Overheat)
- Chandelure (Fire Spin, Overheat)
- Heatran (Fire Spin, Flamethrower)
These are just a few suggestions, so have a look through your pokemon for likely candicates, that are also immune to Bug- and Steel-type attacks.
- Read the latest stories for PS5
- Keep up-to-date with all the Xbox news
- Read the latest gaming news